Monday, November 29, 2010

Thank You, English Professor

Thinking through the memories of my own education in becoming a teacher, a special quote came to mind,
“One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings.  The curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child.”
My first college class was English. I remember walking in on the first day feeling nervous and somewhat lost. There were people of all ages in the room, and not a single familiar face. Once sitting at my desk I am approached by the teacher. Wearing a huge smile on his face, he introduces himself and hands me the syllabus. He did this for every single student, and literally wanted to get to know all of us. The awkward student/teacher ice was broken, and I was ready to learn.
I remember raising my hand to ask to go to the bathroom. He didn’t call on me, smiled, and waived for me to go while telling the class, “You can always tell who just finished high school.” He said that with a calm, soothing, and slightly silly voice. It actually made all of us laugh, including myself. There was something extremely special about this teacher. We had tons of papers to write in this class and with our permission, he read many of them out loud, but always anonymously. The way this teacher read our papers brought them to life. The assignments he gave us were meaningful and brought about reflection. His lectures were warm and charismatic. You can tell he cared about his students.
I have always loved writing and that’s exactly what I was inspired to do in this class. When he stood in front of our room, he filled the class with excitement. I wanted him to read my papers; I wanted to hear my paper through his voice. He helped all of us grow as students. Yes, he was a brilliant and very qualified professor, but there was more to him. He made sure to make a connection with each and every one of his students. He made the environment comfortable, and also made school fun. The way he projected himself as a teacher further inspired me to become one, and for that I am truly grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment